Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Creeping Me Out!!!

Creepy crawlies really creep me out! Well, maybe not like how they creep out my sister and a friend of mine! Both start squealing even if they see so much as a picture of a bug or an insect! As for snakes, my sister can't even watch them on the television, or even glance at a glossy spread of the same, in a magazine or book! <grin!!!> In our childhood days, I've witnessed her standing atop the bed and jumping up and down till the harmless insect flying around the room has been safely let out the nearest window! To think that A played a prank on her by using a wooden snake! It's a wonder she didn't eat him alive!!!

Well, coming to how this blog post came into existence, on Sunday last, as soon as I awoke in the morning, on spotting/sensing a slight movement in a corner of the ceiling, my eyes darted to that very place, and to my utter consternation, I watched quite a well-fed lizard looking at me out of its beady black eyes! I almost broke out in a sweat; I hadn't seen a lizard in my one year of living in my present apartment, and I had no clue how it had come to be there!!! I guess my insistent gaping at it finally scared it out of its wits, and it scooted right down to the opposite corner of the ceiling, nearer to where the head of my bed is, and where I was fearfully sitting and watching the reptile's every move! With it scooting comparatively nearer, I jumped right out of bed with a speed that would have put an Olympian to shame!!! I opened the door and the windows in the fervent hope that it'd let itself outside, but, to no apparent avail! Sighing resignedly, I settled down to wait impatiently for its next move. Considering that it did not move even an inch for a good many minutes, I set about doing my daily chores; with of course, my eyes darting to the lizard's standstill spot every few seconds! It was at the intermittent time between two of those darting glances that the lizard decided to play hookey! When I glanced again at the by now familiar spot on the ceiling, a cold chill ran down my spine, as my eyes swept over the empty space!!! That was all I needed! A mischievous reptile waiting to spring unpleasant surprises on me!!! I didn't see it for the rest of the day, and it soon left the space it had occupied in my memory!

I guess it couldn't digest the fact that I'd almost forgotten about its existence, for, when I returned home from work last evening, and had just opened the door and stepped inside, I felt something fall from somewhere up above, to a chair stationed right behind where I was standing! I, at once figured that my nemesis was back, and with a vengeance at that!!! I slowly turned around and saw that I was indeed, correct! The athlete in me sprung right into action again, and I found myself on the bed, in a flash!!! Making sure that I did not make any sudden movements, I slowly stretched my arm and opened the door, the knob of which was luckily just within my reach! I then rolled up a nice, sturdy magazine, and thus began my attempts to drive my friend out the house! I knew I'd not have a peaceful night's sleep till it was out of the premises of my humble abode! After a lot of running around in circles and squares and what have you, I finally managed to get it till the very threshold of the invitingly open door! "Go out, go out!!!", I kept muttering under my breath, willing it to pay heed and scoot right out the door, like it had so easily done from one corner of my ceiling to another!!! Finally, when I had almost lost all hope, the beady black eyes seemed to look at me for one last savouring moment; and with what looked like a smirk, my friend scampered out of its home of two days, leaving me to exhale an enormous sigh of relief!!!

Not that I don't think you're cute, my friend, but, I'd rather I met you out in the wild, than in the confines of my house! Please do humour me in this!!! Please don't...ahem...come back!!!

P.S. Another dear friend celebrates his birthday today! Here's wishing you a wonderful year ahead, Appu (Vivek)!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

its an irritating feeling knowing its there but not exactly where!!
{a}

3:08 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

Yeah, waiting to spring on me at the first chance!!!

3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Prasita - I'm very familiar with that lizard dance! I'd take spiders over lizards any day. Lizards were the thing that freaked me out the most when I moved to India, as you can see here:

http://basia.blog-city.com/the_talking_lizards.htm

In case your little buddy decides to move back in some day, you might want to be very careful about where you let him plop next time - I'm told left eye is good, right eye is a no-no:

http://basia.blog-city.com/caution_falling_lizards.htm

:o)

10:20 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

Haha! I don't handle spiders any better, Basia!!! As for letting it plop on any of my eyes, I'd rather not let that happen at all!!!

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home