Thursday, December 07, 2006

A New Beginning...

This weekend, my cousin is holding a housewarming party to celebrate his buying a new house. I scoured the markets looking for a nice gift last weekend. I so didn't want to buy one of those traditional lamps, which I'm sure they'll get plenty of! At the same time, I didn't want to get something ultra modern that would earn me a few frowns, if not, many!!! Not far into my gift-buying sojourn, my eyes chanced upon a lamp that at first glance, seemed to be one of the traditional ones I'd been so hoping to avoid buying, but, which, on closer inspection, proved to be a delightful piece of art! It was a lamp, no doubt, albeit not one of the boring, stand-on-the-floor variety! It had no long stand or circular base. Instead, it had a nice set of links strung together, with a hook at the very end, which would let it be hung from the ceiling, or from a beam, making it a nice addition to the entrance of the prayer room in the new house! I was delighted that I'd managed to find such a perfect blend of tradition and art, in the form of the "latkan", the name given to such a lamp. Unfortunately, I had it all nicely gift wrapped, before thinking that it'd have been nice to take a picture first!

I hope my cousin and his wife like the lamp. It is not only exquisite in appearance, but, also so well equipped that five flames of light can be lit at the same time; one in each of the five little clefts that form a part of its beauty. Imagine the brilliance of light that can be created on a balmy evening!

Of course, a visit to their house entails playing with my cousin's son, who, believe me, is a fine mix of Calvin and Dennis!!! He has a ready trick up his sleeve at all times, not hesitating to spring them on all and sundry!!! I usually have an anecdote or two to relate, even if I spend so much as a few minutes, in his company! Not to mention how generous he usually is with his punches and other wrestling antics!!! I've been on the receiving end many a time, to not know what lies in store for me! I'm sure this weekend is going to be one interesting blog post!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh boy...he makes calvin and dennis look like angels i tell you..has the neighbourhood been warned of his impending arrival??

{a}

12:26 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

Hehe.. I don't think so.. he sure will be a surprise (shock?) package for the neighbourhood!!!

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home