Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Light at the End of the Tunnel!!!

As I walked down the now oh so familiar pathway leading to my apartment last evening, my heart sank with every step I took. None of the shops or the houses on the way seemed to have any electricity. I knew I was plunging headfirst into a nasty power cut! To top it, I had been so looking forward to watching Full House last evening. With trepidation, I mounted the stairs to my apartment on the first floor, and slowly turned the key in the lock. So much so that I must have looked straight out of a B-grade horror flick, creating an unnecessary and predictable suspense sequence, by opening the door ever so slowly! Just like I thought, my worst fears were confirmed. There was no sign of even a flicker of light in the house! :-(

Irritated though I was, I set about changing to a comfortable nightwear, leaving the chore of deciding how to while away the time, for a few minutes after! Not that I had many choices to decide from! I could read using a candle, or one of those battery-powered lamps, or set about making my dinner using those very sources of measly light! My tummy was growling loudly and making its presence felt, too! However, I was too irritated to cook! I settled on good old, dependable reading. Page after page after page, I gobbled them all up; but, there was still no sign of His/Her Highness, and His/Her entourage of tube lights, bulbs, fans, and the like! It's a wonder how used we've become to all these things! I'm sure our forefathers managed well enough with just the sun and the moon, and there I was, going berserk at having been made to live in some minutes of darkness!!! I think, in a few years time, people will go berserk if they're made to live without even one of the millions and millions of gadgets and tools that already govern a good part of our lives, for as tiny a time frame, as a moment! On the other hand, maybe not! Now that I give some more thought to it, aren't human beings capable of adjusting to any kind of environment or situation!?! I certainly hope so; although, my fretting and fuming for a good part of last evening, must make me a very bad example!!!

Nevertheless, after what seemed to be an interminably long period of time, the electricity board? finally seemed to smile upon me and grant the wish that I had been constantly muttering under my breath! Well, the clock on the nightstand (the top of my television doubles up as a nightstand <grin>) showed that I'd been bereft of light for a little over an hour; but, it did seem like so much longer! Now that my wish had been granted, I could no longer ignore the cacophony that my stomach had so diligently built up! I had to refuel it, and soon at that!!! In no mood to yield a ladle after an evening of prayers that took so long to be answered, and after a brief consultation with A, I promptly set about ordering something delightful to appease my starved taste buds! Needless to say, I threw all dietary cautions and eating right principles out the window, and ate to more than my heart's and tummy's, fill!!!

It was not a waste waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel, after all!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

certainly better than CHIPS!!!! :-)

{a}

2:32 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

If you say so!!!

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home