Thursday, October 26, 2006

Varanus Bengalensis

Ever heard of the Bengal Monitor? Thanks to a friend (Beta), I've found out that the Iguana-like creature that I saw was actually a Bengal Monitor, also known as the Common Indian Monitor. It is a monitor lizard with the scientific name, Varanus Bengalensis. Apparently, this reptile is commonly found in India and Bangladesh. Also, unfortunately, like most other species of the animal kingdom, this lizard too is killed for its meat and skin! So much so that it now leads a threatened life because of all this mindless, senseless hunting!

These humungous reptiles have extremely strong claws, which provide fodder to the myth that they can securely cling to any kind of surface. An interesting legend that has been doing the rounds for time immemorial is that Tanaji Malusare, one of Shivaji's (the founder of the Maratha empire in Western India) generals, attached ropes to one of these lizards and climbed the walls of the Sinhagad fort! Lovely tale, eh?!? Wonder whether there is an iota of truth in it!!!

Bengal Monitors feed on small terrestrial vertebrates, ground birds and their eggs, arthropods and fish. It looked to me as though as it could eat a whole lot more!!!

I found an image of the big fella in surroundings that look strikingly similar to the hills of Kozhikode, where I saw it!

Here's a closer look at His/Her Majesty!!!

See those claws?!? Methinks it can give any mountain climbing gear a run for its money!!!

Pic and Information Courtesy: Wikipedia and Google

Research Starting Point Courtesy: Beta :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Miss Iyer said...

Eeeks!! :|

9:21 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

hehe..yup, eeeks it is!!!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wish i cud see the lizard again...stunning wasnt it?

{a}

6:13 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

Yup, it sure was stunning! Keep a lookout for it!

4:59 AM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

I never knew this one was a common species in India..
I found this on my trip to Sri Lanka sometime in 2004. However, couldnt picture him running in thewild though.

Welcome to my blog. Do I know you by any chance?

8:23 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:25 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Thanks! Welcome to mine too!

Yeah, neither did I know it's so commonly found here!

I don't think I know you, going by the profile on your blog, that is!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home