Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Compulsive Disorders

Why is it that the very things you chided your mother for when you were a kid, becomes a compulsive activity for you too? Also, funnily enough, this seems to be the case more with girls, than with boys! Makes me wonder whether it's some strangely fashioned, genetically modified, gender thing!!!

I remember the many times I've blown my top when just after we're all out of the house and the door has been securely locked, my mom would want to check whether she'd turned off the gas knob! The three of us (dad, sis and me) would plead and grovel to not make us open the door again, but, to absolutely no avail! My mom would hear none of it!!! So, out the lock would come and mom would triumphantly troop inside, only to find everything that can be securely locked or switched off, exactly in that state! Did that serve as a lesson the next time? Absolutely not! Did it at least serve as a lesson that I shouldn't imbibe this trait? Woefully, no! <sigh>

Now, when I leave my house, I lock the door, then check, double-check, and triple-check whether it has really, truly been locked, pushing it with all my might, leaving me to wonder how it's still stuck to its hinges! As for the switches, don't even get me started on them! I sometimes wonder whether doors and switches have been specifically made to be the bane of my life! I mean, I can see that the switch is off, why then do I have to switch it on and switch it off again, or at least touch it to make sure it really is off?!? Do I really think the switch can camouflage itself to look to be switched off to me, when it is actually inwardly smirking at how easily I can be fooled!?!

Try as I might, I don't seem to be able to do away with this irrational, compulsive disorder of mine! I can see in my mind the future; my kids and husband pleading and grovelling to not make them push the door any harder, and me triumphantly marching in after the poor door has been rooted off its hinges by all the shoving and pushing, only to find the gleeful switches all laughing uproariously at me!!!





Pic courtesy: Google

10 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Damn OCD! You are starting up a solid blog here, keep up the writing. Thanks for stopping by mine.

Scott

2:43 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

Hey, thanks! Yeah, damn all OCDs!!!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll let mummy know when she gets back in a couple of months, and also smile quitely when i have to push the door after locking it this weekend..
{a}

5:15 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

Very funny!

4:30 AM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

haha you're paranoid :) it's the complete opposite for me. to my parent's horror, i never inherited any of their 'thrifty ways' ie. to turn off the lights, electricity and what not. i leave all of em on everytime i leave home. very undesirable (not to mention wasteful) habit i must say.

thanks for popping by super nova

5:27 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

haha! looks like we represent the two extreme ends of the spectrum!

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! And I thought I was the only one who was paranoid. I've returned from office to make the taps were turned off, opened and re-opened doors a number of times and did I mention the time I actually walked out during a meeting and rushing home to check if the gas had been turned off. Duh ! I kept having nightmares of the fire department arriving at my place, neighbours screaming :).....

6:27 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

OMG! You seem to be suffering from even worser symptoms of OCD!!! :-)

6:39 AM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

Ah OCD !

Its all in the mind *chuckle*

9:21 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Yeah, I guess! But, the mind sure does seem to have a strong hold on me!

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home