Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Time Is Not Your Time!

What is it with time and other people not respecting it, unless it's their own?!? I mean, why give a time if you have absolutely no intention of keeping it? Of course, I understand that sometimes really urgent things may come up at the last minute, prompting a person to run late for an appointment. However, doesn't making an appointment also signify that nothing else will be allowed to take priority at the said time? Emergencies are a different ball game altogether and I'm not taking them into count here. What I'm harried about is people giving priorities to things that can be done after the appointment made previously has been kept! Also, not everything is an emergency! In fact, the only ones I can think of are situations threatening one's own or some else's life, or even job/relationship threatening situations. Most other things will not warrant a holocaust if not dealt with for a bit!

I guess meetings not starting on time and people not showing up on time when a rendezvous has been planned, are things that many people have started taking for granted. Not me, though. When I land up for an appointment bang on time, I expect the others to be on the dot too! I mean, what can ever explain my last house owner making me and my dad, a senior citizen, wait for his Highness to arrive, for almost an hour, and that too bearing a cheque that is rightfully mine?!? All this after having made an error on the previous cheque that he gave me, and the bank declaring in no uncertain terms that it will reject the cheque! The cheque was for the deposit that we had made when we'd moved in (it's a norm here), and the error he'd made was of not writing the amount clearly. When I'd pointed this out to A and he'd shown it to the house owner, the guy just promptly signed his initials above the error, claiming that that was sufficient! The bank, of course, refused to accept just the initials! After all this, he makes me wait for an hour before he lands up at the decided place with a new cheque! I don't swear, but if I did, here's what it'd look like: !@#$%^&*()

*grin*

I may be laughing (grinning?) it off now, but every time I'm made to wait because the other person is late for an appointment, I'm hopping mad! Is it too much to except people to be on time, especially considering it's often mutually decided upon, or even set by the other person?!?

6 Comments:

Blogger Aditi said...

oh i hate being made to wait adn even when friends have genuine reasons like traffic jams for running late i get antsy..i also make it a point not to make ppl wait and try and be early (cuz i am weird like that) just so that i can account for unexpected traffic etc...
yesterday there was a function at the temple and it was supposed to begin at 2.. my gramma insisted i be there at 2 and i argued that i know it wont begin till 5 so i am not going.. after a lot or arguing we settled on 4 pm.. yep the part that i was supposed to be present for didnt start till 5:30 and it was supposed to start at 2

10:15 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

No Aditi, it's not weird at all... I also reach places well before time; not that it pays, but I like being on time for everything. Unfortunately, not many people think likewise! :-)

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dear,i use to be late for appts. but now, its either i am early or on time,n if there is no good excuse one is late,i will be so pissed,it'll just ruin the outing unless alcohol is involved,then they are forgiven...FOR NOW! but, seriously,i wish i can kick their asses and send them flying to Mars or Africa...

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very valid piont about prioritizing over an already existing appointment!!! and let's not think about that fellow anymore.

{a}

5:11 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Hehe... I can just picture you kicking their behinds, Idah! :-)

10:44 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Glad you agree, A... Oh, that fellow is on my hit list, for sure!

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home