Monday, March 12, 2007

Stayin' Alive!!!

Saturday saw me and A embroiled in an involuntary adventure of sorts! While setting out to visit my aunt, little did either of us think that we’d be almost compelled to count, what felt like, the last few precious moments of our lives!

After setting out of our house, we settled into a wait for an auto rickshaw that would help us reach our destination, without us having to pay an arm, with a leg also thrown in for good measure! Quite annoyingly, there seemed to be no ricks without any passengers that fateful evening. Or, if there happened to be a trifle few empty ones, they refused to make the distance to my aunt’s place, without, like I’ve already mentioned, making sure that we part with at least a few body parts! Little did we know then that this figurative losing of an arm and a leg would soon turn into an almost literal losing of them!

After what seemed to be an interminable wait, finally, an auto that we hailed, very kindly and generously agreed to take us to our desired destination, and surprise of surprises, the driver didn’t ask for even a paisa more! Highly grateful, we clambered into it, and what then entailed can only be described as a ride in a death cab, or in Lord Yama’s private vehicle itself! Our man, the driver of the auto that was apparently a vehicle to transport us to the world down under itself, thought it absolutely unnecessary to have any concern for his or our safety! The speed with which he sped by other paltry vehicles, lampposts, signals, and huge, thundering trucks even, would have put to shame any self respecting formula one participant! Speed breakers hardly deterred the brave soul! He must have thought it blissful fun to brake at the very last moment when encountered with a speed breaker, leaving the tires to screech wildly, and us, inside the vehicle, to sickeningly careen from one side to the other! He didn’t even bother to stay on the road most of the time! Skilled as he was, the pavement/sidewalks/dirt roads were absolutely great to drive on, too!

His skill and speed, coupled with the amazing control that he had over the vehicle, got us to our destination in 15 minutes flat; a journey that usually takes a good 30 to 40 minutes! I must admit he quite efficiently nullified all our waiting time; not to mention the worry that we were running late!

Throughout the ride, all I could think of was how I had so many things I still wanted to do in this earthly life! Also, although throughout the ride, we were almost laughing our heads off at the way we were being transported to what we could only think of as our death beds, the recklessness of such auto and cab drivers is a continuous menace in this city, as it is in other cities in our country, if I’m right!!! There’s nothing left to be written about this topic; a lot has already been mouthed and penned down about the same! I wonder what it is that drives such people to put on risk not only their own lives, but also the lives of innocent passengers; and being someone who has been through a more than fair share of accidents, I can vouch that life, for a few months after an accident, is not pretty at all!

Asking them to slow down, talking in polite terms, shouting; nothing seems to work! They still seem hell bent on breaking all traffic rules and human levels of tolerance by zooming forward at breakneck speeds; all for saving some time and earning a few more rupees at almost the cost of another passenger’s limbs or life?!!? How fair is that?!?

27 Comments:

Blogger dharmabum said...

ahem, hullo there!

is it fair, u ask? i'd say it is - he's trying to eke out a living in his own way. all of us have our asiprations - the more we earn, the more we want, and the more we aspire to earn to satisfy the increasing wants. shudn't it be true to the autowallas too?

now, if u'er talking about 'innocent' passengers lives being put at risk - i think the passengers are a lil more than innocent to understands the stakes involved and then make a wise decision whether or not to avail the services of an auto.

finally - if we're talking about road discipline - i think it has much to do with self discipline, something that we indians inherently seem to lack. i don't think its only the autowallas - in my city, i notice that everyody has the tendency of breaking a few rules here and there - everybody wants to be the first, which is a logical impossibility. so in a road that is totally and completely chaotic - the only ones who do follow the rules, and stick to them, are the few crazy ones who don't mind that extra minute or two.

sorry about the long rant!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Miss Iyer said...

LOL, sounds a lot like the frustration "phase" that I was in a few weeks back. Now, I seem to have taken it as a way of life :). I guess, in time you will too Supernova.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Brecht said...

SuperN, u r still alive & well - phew! i think living in India will make me or break me! i was told many times, what doesnt kill you will only make u stronger = )

8:41 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

I don't agree with you at all, dharmabum! If you choose/are forced to be in a profession where other people's lives are involved, you have to take that responsibility, no matter what!

As for the passengers being innocent, if there is no other mode of transport available, I don't think one has any other option! Right after I had an accident because of the auto I was in overturning, and after being nicely bandaged up at the hospital, I had to take another rick to reach home. Was that because I didn't know the risks involved?!? Nope, I had no other choice. With my leg bandaged up so tightly and with the searing pain, there was no way I could get on to a bus, let alone think about any other form of transport!

Don't worry about the length of our rants; it's no problem!

8:55 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Oh, I'm not at all frustrated, miss iyer! Far from it, actually! Like I said, we were laughing all the way to our destination; the ride and his attitude really cracked us up, to tell you the truth!

8:56 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

:-) Mush, it's not that bad too! You have to come here once to experience living in this beautiful country! I promise to take you around too; a lot of your doubts and apprehensions will be laid to rest then. :-)

8:57 AM  
Blogger Wind of change said...

:) good to know that you are hale and hearthy.. i liked the article.. i could see myself hurtling down those roads with you :)

have been to such rides before.. its like a roller coaster ride.. gives you a high.. atleast you laugh through it.. but in the end.. you are lucky to have your feet firmly on the ground..

stay there!!! :)

2:04 PM  
Blogger Aditi said...

I dont know.. to me if a cabbie is driving rashly i usually tell him bhaiya slow down jaldi nahi hain.. worse i'd get down if i think he is driving rashly.. but sounds like a scary ride

2:21 PM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

One thing that I dont quite accept with the Autowallas being a menace on the city roads...The city itself is a menace. Two incidents

1. Driving on the hosur road, just few inches behind from the sides of a car, suddenly I found a jet of Hot Kurma lashed out at me - courtesy a muslim girl in the back seat of a car. And put her heads down when I showed my fingers upto her. (No no qualms abt showing a finger to a girl..am not that gentlemanly)..Gosh, how long does it take to skid after a sudden hit on your eyes with chilli..

2. Going alongside in an auto in a slow moving traffic, I saw a seemingly-well-place-executive in his toyota Corolla, reading a newspaper and smoking fag. all fine until he decided to throw the cigarette butt on the road...I asked him in a decent sign language "whats this"..He shdnt have ignored me with a sarcastic nod. I showed him both my middle fingers...and trust me I had a laugh of my life, when he rolled down his windows and started swearing words that wldnt make anyone look good...oblivious to where he was....

And we are talking rash driving? Problem is not with one group...its with the attitude of the whole country....

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes, i think if we don take light to most serious stuff, we'll end up dead from some heart disease to stress!!..ok, look whose talking but the paranoid me here!!! hahah, have a good day

1:04 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Thanks, wind of change! Yeah, it sure felt like a rollercoaster ride, if ever there was one!

As for luck, you almost always need tons of it while driving on Indian roads!

4:30 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Oh yes, aditi, I've tried spouting that "bhaiyya, aaste chalaiye" slogan an umpteen number of times! It usually doesn't seem to make any difference to them, although they do acknowledge it with a slight nod of the head!

I don't think I've ever stepped off an auto because of the rash driving; I have for other things!

4:34 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Yes, tlw, I agree that most commuters on the roads in our country need some disciplining. I assure you my post is not about a certain group; it is just a recounting of an incident. :-)

4:38 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Hehe... Yeah, idah, it sure feels like all this stress will kill us one day!

You have a good day too! :-)

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was a thrill ride i must say....something we'd rather avoid but we laughed hard...didn't we?

{a}

4:44 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Yeah, it was funny! However, like you said, it'll be more funny when it'll be avoidable! :-D

4:48 AM  
Blogger Crohn's is my bitch said...

How funny that you should respond to my last post from India: the lover I was blogging about is in Amritsar right now! Are you living there or just visiting?

Thank you for your kind words. It always helps to know that my writing worked for someone, since it is something I love to do. As for right decisions, I'm on the fence about whether they exist. I have hope, though.

6:11 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Oh! I'm living here, succinic!

I'm convinced you'll make the right decision. You seem to be an intelligent woman, and hope is surely the first step to making one!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

Hi Supernova so glad you made it through your taxi drive alive. I remember a few rides like that when I lived in Europe - especially in Portugal. Hair raising!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

OOPs! Forgot to say thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a kind comment. Take Care.

6:42 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Thanks, kimberley!

Oh, I didn't know Europe also offers such thrilling cab rides! ;-)

7:14 AM  
Blogger Aditi said...

well i'd rather step out of it then fall out of it.. autos dont have doors..=/

8:55 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Haha... They sure don't! Not that having doors will help much either when they careen so wildly!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Aditi said...

but atleast u wont fall off

11:04 AM  
Blogger supernova said...

Yup, you won't fall off! However, think about the number of bumps you'll have on your head; not to mention bruises on your limbs et al! :-D

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi..hi... yes, you may blogroll me. i'll add you in on my blog... its 7.45am here right now, and i am sipping coffee, trying to wake my veins and muscles and mostly brain. :D

12:50 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

Thanks, idah!

I must say you sure are delightful! :-) Your comments are so much fun to read!

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home