Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Paris

Paris has a tremendous amount of expectations riding on it. The good news is it comes close to fulfilling most of them. I think that's more than a city can hope for! I've always felt that the charm you feel on reading about a place or seeing pictures of the place, considerably lessens when you're in that place yourself. Not so, at least for the major part, with Paris.
Believed to be the Mecca of fashion, I was told to watch out for the high-heeled, stuff-strutting, always well made up women. I did see them, but I saw quite many not-so-fashionable people too. Mostly well turned up, though. Also, the city, not unlike cities in Germany, is infested with smokers. What's with Europe and this smoking extravaganza they have on! It gives me the heebie jeebies! I hate having a ton of cigarette fumes all around me; it makes it so difficult to breathe.

Ah, I digressed.

The main thing that stunned me in Paris was its awesome, jaw-dropping monuments and their architecture. Gigantic and voluminous, they are quite a spectacle. They are well worth a trip all by themselves!
Most main roads are spacious and span from one far end to the other equally far end! An abundance of huge scooters and motorbikes also dot the entire city; that sure was a refreshing change from seeing only cars and the like!
Unlike what I was expecting and had heard, quite a few people spoke English and made the use of just a smattering of French not seem that terrible! I guess it being the most visited place definitely helps in the proliferation of English!

Other than the stunning monuments, we also went to the Moulin Rouge, the palace at Versailles and the ever popular Disneyland.

More on all later!

P.S. It's a horribly expensive city!

8 Comments:

Blogger Sri said...

Hey, here comes Prasi from Paris :) Gud prelude dear, makes me eager to know more - after all what makes Paris so famous?!? cant wait to read more on this place... Noted the most important info on the P.S!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Brecht said...

oh P, i shall returned for more. Paris was one of the first cities i visited in Europe - holds such many memorable moments for me, 1st time with friends and 2nd i tagged along when B had a meeting there, thus i explored the city on my own - i cant get enough of its vibrant streets full of people all the time, perhaps the 2 times i was there - was always in summer - but i love the sacre coeur best followed by montmatre, i didnt fancy champs-elysees too much though! i think u hv to get a parisian to see the nicer side of the city ; ) i hope to be able to do that someday... till soon again, hugs

6:45 PM  
Blogger ani_aset said...

ahan Tulip, lovely snap...and this is so not done, more posts needed like Amsterdam trip :)

12:33 PM  
Blogger Idah's Family Bluez said...

it sounds nice.. and yes, i've heard how expensive that place can be..

but, man, i do want to visit it one day... :)

5:36 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

I liked the Pantheon best, Mush. There was something really magnetic about it!

You've been there a couple times! Nicee!

3:05 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

Thanks, Ani... All in good time!

3:06 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

You certainly should, Idah! I guess about the same time that you'll be visiting me?!? :-)

3:07 PM  
Blogger supernova said...

You bet that was one of the most important tidbits about Paris, if not the most, Sri! :-)

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home